Re: [LUG] Personal finance

On 09/06/10 09:23, John Williams wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-09 at 08:16 +0100, Joe Ray wrote:
>> On 08/06/10 16:58, Neil Winchurst wrote:
>>> You seem to suggest that it would be a good idea to link up bank and
>>> financial package. Is that right?
>>>
>> It is convenient,

However, you have no ability to question bank on any discrepancy as your
'imported data' is same as banks.

I download bank as 'spreadsheet data' and then compare manually. I do
not like automatic import into records that I need for HMRC. The dual
check is important if any discrepancy which comes to HMRC attention.

PS GRISBI?
Albeit you need  to set up a blank Euro account (no data and don't use
after set up) as it is French.
Works OK as does Kmymoney for personal accounts.
I found it useful, for a time.
I do my Business Accounts on QuickBooks, [[on MS Win XP, the only
program I need a Win Machine for as it exports to Excel only and only
runs on Windows]] due legacy take over as treasurer from a.n. other for
a charity and spent some two years trying to get onto a FOSS program,
tried many unsuccessfully due UK VAT (For UK VAT,  Gnucash needs a lot
of re-organisation) I abandoned FOSS for any VAT use.
One set up did run VAT correctly but is under reconstruction at present.
I abandoned Gnucash due printing problems, although screen use is OK.
Others work, but many are USA accounting  method based.
--
Regards
Eion MacDonald