Re: [LUG] BECTA Gone ...

On 05/06/2010 11:27, Rob Beard wrote:
On 03/06/10 12:47, Rhia Knowles wrote:
Also I think you can off-set some of the costs against the saving in
hardware - with every new Windows release there is a leap in the
hardware required to run it.  Linux in comparison uses lower spec

Also Microsoft likes to change things about Windows and Office. In ways
which affect both end users and administrators.

Seconded. Most people I know hate office 2007 when they have to work
on it. Open Office scores by having the usual word processor interface
instead of a stupid ribbon which is totally non-intuative and forces
everyone to be either retrained or stumble around the tabs blindly
looking for the save or print dialog which is hidden on the office
logo button (which doesnt even look like a button)

Funnily enough I was having this conversation with someone yesterday. They said that they were reasonably experienced Excel users and could get on fine with Excel up to 2003 but when given Excel 2007 to use, it took them 45 minutes to work out how to save a file. They said they'd seen someone else use OpenOffice and commented on how it looked similar.

I know Office 2010 has a similar interface to Office 2007, but what about all those users who are used to 2003 and older versions?

I can't help but think it was all a ploy for Microsoft partners to sell more training (the user I spoke to commented about how they'd need re-training on Office 2007).

Rob

I was forced into Office 2007 when the university installed it in the last year of my degree. That was a pain in the unmentionables because we were being taught how to program Word, Excel etc with VBA and of course in 2007 all the shortcuts and menus are in different places. On top of which none of the 2007 format files - even with the same extensions ran in 2003, so we were obliged to Save As all the time.

By comparison getting used to the 2007 ribbon was easy.

Julian