Re: [LUG] printing using lpr

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 12:58 AM, Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Just been printing my end of course assessment essay for the open
> university,  thankfully good ol lpr works properly as hitting print in
> document viewer fails
>
> anyway doing lpr eca.pdf prints the file, but from page 1 - 16,  i just
> wondered if there was a way to print in reverse so that once printed the
>  pages are in the correct order. saves having to sort manually.
>
> looking at the man page i can't find anything but perhaps someone else
> has another solution.
>
> Essay gets sent off later today (as its now tuesday),  so i can finally
> think about upgrading to lucid, which may fix the above problem.
>
> thanks
>
> Paul

Hi Paul :-)

Just guesses....

1. When you initially create/export the pdf can you create it in reverse order?

2. Looking at the man page for lp (not lpr) there is an -P option used
to specify a page range. If your really lucky specifying a backwards
range may reverse the page order for you? As I said this is just I
guess! I have not tried it because I don't have access to a printer
currently.

lp -P 16-1 printInReverse.pdf

Aside: According to my man pages for lpr and lp they are copyright to
Apple Inc. which was a surprize!

Best wishes
Roly