[LUG] setting up the server

Dear Gordon

I am almost ready to set up the server you kindly gave me. I want to use
apt-cacher-ng, backup my other computers, and possibly use it as a music
server. In the future I would like to try LTSP. I could also in the
future try out web sites locally before uploading them, if I climbed the
vertical wall with overghangs that is the learning curve for Drupal.

I would be much happier with a GUI, maybe X with a simple desktop
display like Xfce. I could even have a full distro on it. If I can add
the neccessary easily I would like your advice on this or a link
somewhere so I can get details of how to. I tried to install something
but there were locks and I forgot the root password if you gave it to
me.

However, there seems to be an issue of where to put these things.
Perhaps all I need to do is rename the partitions.

You have
/dev/md1 241036 /
tmpfs 501560 /lib/init/rw
ditto /dev/shm
md3 1921100 /usr
md5 36527056 /var
md6 39492084 /archive

I don't know where I would put the cacher, presumably any GUI packages
would go to /usr. /var seems much too large for my needs.

Perhaps I should start again?

James
--
james kilty