Re: [LUG] Steam is coming to Linux

On Mon, 2010-05-17 at 20:11 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Apologies if this has already been posted, but I thought it was a pretty
> big thing especially for gamers.
>

> It appears Valve a games developer behind the Source Engine (a game
> engine) and Steam game download service are bringing both the Source
> Engine and Steam to Linux.
>
>  From what I've read in the past, Steam is one of those things that
> keeps some gamers from ditching Windows altogether.
>
> There's more on the Phoronix web site here:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/steam-linux-article

I have to admit I got very excited reading that a few days ago, I found
it when Portal was on a free giveaway and was trying to find out if
Steam would run in Cedega (it won't btw). I registered for Steam anyway
and got Portal added for free so that was nice.

Steam on Linux could give the OS a massive boost in numbers, its about
time companies started tapping Linux gamers, that Humble game pack last
week or so made enough from Linux players and it can't have gone
unnoticed that Linux users were the most generous and potentially
profitable.

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides