Re: [LUG] OT: - cleaning w2k box

Have you tried the Portableapps from
http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/spydllremover_portable

works for me

On an Xp macine that had 1223 trojans, two rookits, and more malware I could be bothered with running this got me to a position to let Clamwin sort out the rest.

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 13:52 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
Steven Côté wrote:

> Was the network connected between steps "Install form CD" and "Windows
> update ad nauseam"? I seem to recall being told that that any fresh
> Win2K box connected to the internet will be compromised within moments
> of coming online. It's not actually possible to download the security
> updates fast enough to get them installed before an attack succeeds. I'm
> not sure this is actually true, but it seems to be in your case.

Certainly for XP before the service pack that enables the firewall by
default compromise times were down to minutes, so it is very likely it
would be owned before re-installation had finished.

But this only ever applied to boxes on a public IP address, if you had
a router doing NAT it doesn't apply since incoming connections are
prevented.

> The trick I recall is to install with the network unplugged and to have
> all the service packs handy on another disk. Install those service packs
> and only then connect the network to grab the rest of the updates.

Just have NAT router or external firewall.

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)
Po House, Minions,