Re: [LUG] OT ish - Midi Keyboard

On 14/05/10 21:57, Michael Mortimore wrote:
I think most (musical) keyboards and electric pianos have midi outputs.
certainly all the ones i've encountered do. I guess how much it feels
like a piano depends on how much you want to spend. USB I have no idea
about. I don't think it existed last time I looked into keyboards.

I agree on that one. I remember when I had a keyboard back in the 90's I wanted a MIDI one which IIRC were around £120 at the time although I've seen them come down considerably in price (I'm sure you can pick up a cheap one for about £50 ish even) although it might not be piano quality (although probably good maybe for kids learning to play the keyboard).

A friend of mine's Grandad had a Roland MIDI keyboard a few years back too, IIRC that cost in the region of £800, worked lovely with those old DOS games which supported MIDI (blew the SoundBlaster AWE32 out of the water!).

I presume like everything if money is no object then you can probably get something that looks like grand piano which would connect to the PC (again IIRC I saw a nice looking piano type keyboard for a couple of grand in a music shop a couple of years ago).

Rob