Re: [LUG] Booting from DVD drive - failure

Eion MacDonald wrote:

> On 13/05/2010 17:08, Dan Dart wrote:
>> Get a new DVD drive?
>>

>>> Both those same CD's worked as expected on my laptop.
>
> 1. Clean heads on drive.
> 2. a question. Reading depends on good manufacture as well as read
> capability. Were discs burnt or pit manufactured?

I downloaded the iso file and then used K3B to burn the CD myself. It
works fine in my laptop. I suspect that the DVD drive in my desktop is a
bit slow to get started so the computer has moved on to the HD before
the CD is ready.

As I said in another reply to this, when I bought two DVD's for my
current distro, one live and one alternate, only the alternate one
worked. The live DVD was not seen by the desktop at all.

Once the computer is up and running, of course, I can read any of the
CD's or DVD's.

> 3. If burnt, depends on dye and time and how ell 'burnt'. Many burnt
> discs can only be read by burning drive due alignment etc.
> 4. Have you a known 'pit'/'land' manufactured and pressed Live distro?

Don't know what that is.

> If so and it works on laptop then this proves drive on desktop is at end
> of useful life as it is not reading manufactured discs.
>
> 5. I keep two old manufactured discs with Knoppix 3 (very ancient) on
> them as test dics for drives. If drive does not read, then  BIOS needs
> altering, or drive is kapput.

Neil