Re: [LUG] Booting from DVD drive - failure

On Thu, 2010-05-13 at 16:33 +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
Anyone any ideas please. Twice recently I have tried to run a live CD
from my desk top computer. Both times the CD has been ignored. And, to
answer the obvious question, I have checked the BIOS and the CD/DVD
drive is top of the boot list.

Both those same CD's worked as expected on my laptop.

Anyone ??

Neil
Neil
Some PCs give you a boot time option to break out to a boot list from which you can select any of your BIOS enabled boot options. Perhaps selecting it from the menu might help. A worst at you'll find out if the DVD drive is bootable or not.

I have found that some computers have trouble booting of a live CD burnt on my drive using the faster write speeds. As a result I tend to force my burn speed to the lowest possible when creating boot CDs.

As a side note, I've had trouble with fully working Ubuntu 9.10 and 10.04 Live CDs with older hardware. They do actually boot but the "live" portion of the loaders fail - generally X related from what I've seen. My fallback position is my trusty Knoppix CD which I've had for years and always works. If I'm trying to do a full install, the Alternative Ubuntu CDs work for me more often.

Martin