Re: [LUG] Want to run Office web apps on Linux? You'll need a licence

On Wed, 2010-05-12 at 19:25 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> More great Microsoft news (which Google will probably like)...
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2d4xvvv
>
> It seems that if a business wants to use Office web applications on
> Linux they need to buy a licence.  To be fair it is also the case for
> Windows too (you'll need a licence).
>
> I guess the advantage is that you'll save on the cost of a Windows
> licence if you're building a PC from scratch but considering most
> businesses will probably buy from a major system builder such as Dell,
> HP etc, chances are they'll get Windows bundled in.
>
> I'd be interested to know how much Google charge.  Office 2007 on a
> volume licence is about Â300 a copy, I'm guessing Office 2010 will be
> about the same.  Oh and if you use the web apps, you'll also need
> Sharepoint, and a Windows 2008 R2 server and...
>
> You get the idea.
>
> I'm currently doing a study into licensing costs for about 30 PCs to be
> upgraded to Office 2007 and Windows 7 Pro, when I've done I'll post some
> figures to the list.
>
> Rob

You really have to hand it to M$ (and yes I am digging out dollar sign
that because they earned the "insult")

Many companies and governments switching to linux, and they find a way
to monetise it, heck, next they will find a way to make money from the
OS side when people run Linux as their OS... Oh wait, HTC and novell :[

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides