Re: [LUG] OT: bios burning - w2k dos mode question

On Mon, 10 May 2010 08:04:21 +0100
tom wrote:

> I've got an old machine and the bios cant read big disks properly  so
> I'm trying to upgrade the bios. This requires a dos program to be run
> but I'm having a mare getting a dos boot disk and cant be bothered to
> burn a cd.
> Does anyone know if w2k dos mode (f8 on boot) will be ok for this?
> Tom te tom te tom

No, I very much doubt it.  "DOS Mode" for W2k is not (IIRC) a true DOS
environment - it's an NT environment with a commandline interface.

You could try bootdisk.com, get an image and use dd on a Linux machine
to drop that image onto a floppy.

Grant.