Re: [LUG] Ubu10.04 and keeping data from FF and TB

On Tue, 04 May 2010 23:35:32 +0100
james kilty wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 22:02 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:
> I said
> > > Nor can I access my desktop as I used to - I get the message
> > > 'wrong fs type' and 'bad superblock' when I try to mount it over
> > > the LAN.
> >
> > Sorry?  What are you trying to mount over the lan, and how?
> using sudo mount
> 192.168.1.14:/home/james/Documents /home/james/james-desktop-2
>
> without then with a similar line in fstab (the new install started
> from scratch so I lost the line and just now reinstated it):
>
> 192.168.1.14:/home/james/Documents /home/james/james-desktop-2 nfs
> rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
>
> the error message said
> wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> 92.168.1.14:/home/james/Documents
> missing codepage ... or other error (for several filesystems e.g
> nfs ..)
> you might need a /sbin/mount.<type> helper program) then pointed to
> syslog where there was nothing obvious
>
> James

Ah, OK... all this talk of ext3/4 had me worried then.  So this is an
NFS share on MachineX that you're trying to mount on MachineY?

http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/index.html has a nice tutorial
on setting up NFS.

1: Is the filesystem mounted nicely on the 'server'?
2: Is the directory which you want shared actually being shared?
2.1 - what's in your /etc/exports?
2.2 - what's in your /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny?
3: Have you got the required NFS server packages installed?
        nfs-common- NFS support files common to client and server
        nfs-kernel-server -support for NFS kernel server
4: Does the directory you're trying to attach ('mount') your NFS share
to actually exist?

Grant.