Re: [LUG] The Wi-Fi database that shamed Google

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, Michael Mortimore wrote:

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 22:42:03 +0100, Roland Tarver <roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18844-innovation-the-wifi-database-that-shamed-google.html

Sneaky!

I don't see what the problem is.

Me neither and I don't agree with Julian either.

Wi-Fi uses an unlicensed 2.4GHz band (and another unlicensed bit of the 5GHz band for 802.11a). It was originally called the ISM band - Industrial, Scientific and Medical - intended for short-range data transmissions. (Other evidence I've heard is that it's there because microwave ovens operate at those frequencies too and they're allowed to leak 100mW - hence the maximum ERP on domestic Wi-Fi is 100mW - this may be UL though!)

So you don't need a license to use it.... That means anyone can use it - and essentially for whatever purposes they want.

Wi-Fi access points broadcast their details - they have to, otherwise you'd not find them. Even when you hide the SSID, they still broadcast.

I can stand outside with a hand-held device (my phone) and legally see most of my streets Wi-Fi access points. There are about 8 of them. Not bad for a town in rural Devon... (of-course 4 of them are BT Fon/Openwallet piggy-backers)

With one exception, none of them will give me any clues as to who owns it. I may be able to use signal strength to narrow it down to a building, but that's not too reliable. (The exception is mine which broadcasts it's SSID as Drogon!) SSIDs of Netgear, BT Fon, BT OpenZone, etc. really won't give anything away - and in any-case it's the MAC address that's the interesting thing. From that they could infer the hardware type though, but then so-what?

I can get more details by walking down the street and photographing peoples doors - something I'm legally allowed to do (google for: I'm a photographer not a terrorist for more details on photography).

So I don't think there is a privacy concern, and it's really fuss about bother about nothing special.

And google aren't exactly new here either - there are already databases of this information - check Skyhook for example. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skyhook_Wireless

The big issue is what Google are going to do with it? They've paid for it in the time & effort they've made with their cars, drivers, hardware, etc.

Location-based advertising - yup - so what? Let those who don't know any better be bombarded with it. I can turn off location sending on firefox, use adblocker, etc. But when I'm in the middle of no-where and want to know where the nearest pizza place is - maybe then I'll be thankful. Maybe driving through an "urban canyon" and my GPS gets lost - maybe then it'll be handy too. (And I'm really sure google will discount APs from people who've moved - they're not that daft)

As for it being a hackers dream - um - maybe, but then if a hacker wants access they just needs to walk a few roads with a hand-held device. Much less obvious than pointing a pringles can down the street... (Although I've got an 18db grid antennae in the loft that'll carry & detect a Wi-Fi signal from 6 miles away)

So just chillax... There are far more important things to worry about right now!

Gordon