Re: [LUG] The Wi-Fi database that shamed Google

On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 23:40 +0100, Michael Mortimore wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 22:42:03 +0100, Roland Tarver
> <roland.tarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18844-innovation-the-wifi-database-that-shamed-google.html
> >
> > Sneaky!
> >
> > best wishes
> > roly :-)
> >

> I don't see what the problem is.

I can't imagine Google hasn't considered linking this data to their
advertising activities. When serving up ads they can accurately target
you with very specific advertising to your locale and based on the other
data they already gather on you/us from browsing/search.

I think individually wifi data IS public because you transmit it out,
but when it is being collected for a large database it suddenly gets
worrying. I have been moderately careful with my personal data online,
this database blows that out of the water to a degree as google don't
need to know *who* I am, they just bypassed that and sorted out exactly
*where* I live. It would be trivial to then establish my ID if they were
inclined, or court ordered (Heaven knows what future me might do to
upset the police/govt.. probably fart they way the UK laws are going)

One of my jobs today, see if my wifi signal extends to the road. Trouble
is I won't know if Google had some far more sensitive antenna in their
cars :(

--
John Williams <subbass@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>