Re: [LUG] Microsoft signs patent agreement with HTC over Android phones

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010, Neil Stone wrote:

ok.. this _might_ seem obvious but...

Why not use EXT2/3 on the Android device and for those using some crappy
OS, install a driver to handle the FS.

Because Joe and Jane consumer can't handle that. They are also used to plugging & unplugging devices like USB sticks, cameras, mp3 players and so on without doing any special "mount" command, etc.

ext2/3 does not like having thw power removed from it - fat is more tolerant in that respect.

My N900 has a 28GB partition on its internal 'drive' which is vfat formatted... When I plug in the USB lead, it's unmounted from the phone and presented as a USB storage device to the USB host. I'd love it to be ext3, but I'm a geek and I somehow don't think your average user could cope.

Just out of interest.. did MS go after the like of Kingston or SanDisk
for providing USB storage with VFAT ?

Unlikely - thy just provide the hardware - even if it is pre-formatted.

Gordon