Re: [LUG] Those joggler things ...

On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 21:03 +0100, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> Just checked the O2 website - out of stock and price @ Â99...
>
> So those who got them - what you use them for - did you re-flash them, or
> put any new code on them?

I got two and bought a third for a friend. Both of mine are rooted, one
is on my desk, the other is by the bedside. I've installed some extra
OpenPeak apps on them both, such as a better weather application, RSS
feed reader, twitter and facebook.

Added a direct link to the Stream Media facility on its "desktop" as the
one on my desk does get used to watch tv eps on, or the odd movie when
I'm at the PC, quite a bonus that the Joggler accessed UPNP media
servers. The kids also love playing the games on them but I think that
is mainly a novelty thing.

The Traffic application seems like it would be useful to some people,
little use of it here though.

Someone put together a BBC live streaming script for it as well, but you
have to launch that from the PC via telnet, but as I seem to have a
shell open and connected a lot of the time its fine. Its been nice to
have had live tv showing on it a few times now.

Both of course also have a bunch of photographs on to serve as digital
photo frames, a shame there are no transitions at all though.

As for anything else, you can run any/most flash things online locally
on the Joggler by using its runlocal command followed by the URL. Thats
been neat.

I use google calendar a lot, so its been useful having it on the
Joggler, but as I have that on the desktop and the ipod I don't use
it*that* much on the joggler, the ipod is far faster than anything else
to load and view the calendars!

All in all, I like the joggler. I've no real use or need to run a full
OS on it, I have a "proper" netbook for that if needed so haven't
bothered with it.

--
John Williams
My linux blog of notes and guides