Re: [LUG] Email security

On 20/04/10 13:01, NW wrote:
On my emails I get hardly any spam. (I don't have any filters set up for
myself.) My wife gets lots. We have a web site and I use the email set
up on there (IMAP). Recently I have persuaded the wife to move across to
using emails on our web site to try to avoid her getting so much rubbish.

Don't ask me why, but she has started getting rubbish emails already. I
have set up some filters, which are already having to block over forty
addresses!

There must be an easier way. She has a fairly limited number of people
from whom she wants emails. Perhaps it would be better to set up a white
list of some sort.

Can anyone suggest some way to control this please? I can't just go on
adding more and more filter addresses for her surely.

Any ideas anyone please?

Neil Winchurst

We very rarely get spam on our Debian system. eg a small trickle of Chinese (language) mail about 6-9 months ago that only lasted about a week and that's it.

Our ISP does spam filtering and over a year the odd one or two still get through. But within the week they dry up.

I've trained Icedove (Thunderbird) to flag up any spam but it hardly seems necessary.

My wife and I do all the normal communicating, shopping etc, We're in contact with many people (all Windows users) who submit articles and email concerning the village newsletter and community centre.

We insist on sending/receiving email in plain text and view any html mail as plain text and never open attachments from anyone we don't know. This shouldn't have any affect on our side but it may avoid passing an address trawling bot onto Windows users.

So apart from that I can only conclude that our ISP must do a damn good job of filtering and stays on top of it.

Keith