Re: [LUG] Email security

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 5:22 PM, Julian Hall wrote:
>> There are many ways how an email address can end up in a spammers'
>> database (and once it's there, it'll stay there forever):
>> 1. the email address has been published on a web site;
>> 2. the local-part (bit before the @) of the email address is very
>> "easy": spammers commonly try to send email to john@, tom@, mike@
>> addresses regardless of whether these exists;
>> 3. the owner has dealt with a dodgy company/organization which has
>> sold on the address;
>> 4. the owner has dealt with a legitimate company/organization whose
>> database has been hacked;
>> 5. there is some malware on a computer that scans mailboxes for databases.
>>

> You missed out 'subscribed to a mailing list that has been infiltrated by a
> spider at some point'.

I think that's covered by 4 and/or 5. As for 5, it takes one list
member to check their email once on an infected computer for your
email address to end up in a spammers' database.

> Having said that, I suppose a one word ident like 'linux' obeys #2 of your
> suggestions.

Actually, I've seen really odd addresses recieve "dictionary attack
spam" as they are called. At $dayjob I saw six spam messages to
felipelardhampton@domain -- the local-part is totally unrelated to any
user or address every existed on the domain. It's quite common for
this to happen; my guess it's either a broken scraper-bot, or someone
selling a database of email addresses and adding a bunch of random
ones to make it look bigger.

Martijn.