Re: [LUG] Email security

On 20/04/2010 13:29, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2010, NW wrote:

On my emails I get hardly any spam. (I don't have any filters set up for
myself.) My wife gets lots. We have a web site and I use the email set
up on there (IMAP). Recently I have persuaded the wife to move across to
using emails on our web site to try to avoid her getting so much rubbish.

Once the email address is on the spammers lists, that's it for life ...

Don't ask me why, but she has started getting rubbish emails already. I
have set up some filters, which are already having to block over forty
addresses!

Is her PC running windoze? Is it possible it's infected with some trojan that might be scraping email addresses and phoning home?

(And cue 4 yorkshiremen: 40 a day! Eee, I get 40,000 on a good day, etc.)

There must be an easier way. She has a fairly limited number of people
from whom she wants emails. Perhaps it would be better to set up a white
list of some sort.

Can anyone suggest some way to control this please? I can't just go on
adding more and more filter addresses for her surely.

Any ideas anyone please?

Does your ISP offer any form of spam filtering?

Realistically, (and sadly) I think that in todays Internet, it's just not possible to use email and not get spam, so spam fitlers are essential - somewhere along the line.

It'll just take one slip to expose an email address, and bang, that's it. Actually, I'm surprised yours hasn't been 'found' already by the use of various name-dictionary attacks. You're probably 'safe' as your domain is rather obscure - for now.

Use a spam filter - either locally or at the ISP, or outsource your email to someone who can spam filter it for you. These come at a price though - the former one it's your time and effort, the latter is usually monetary...

Gordon

Curiously my Mum's email has never had any spam, despite being used to get insurance quotes etc and buy the occasional item online. Maybe it's because she doesn't send any email to people herself (technophobe) so it's all incoming automated mail that I retrieve and tell her if there's anything interesting.

Julian