Re: [LUG] load balancing with dd-wrt

On Sun, 18 Apr 2010, David Vanstone wrote:

Hi,
i didnt know if you could help me,
i have bt coming to add a second phone line for another broadband, i didnt know if anyone has any experience with load balancing with linux?

I use newsgroups and have 2 news accounts on different servers to avoid the confusion of ips etc. I recently setup a mates over skype on win7.

I have 2 adsl routers and a wrt320n with dd-wrt, would i be able to use the wrt as a load balancer, ive looked through some forums and am not to familiar on setting it up

Any help would be great

I don't think the wrt320 would work in that mode - you'd have to persuade it's firmware to pretend that it's single "wan" port was 2 devices - it's possible (in Linux), but I don't know enough about the dd-wrt firmware...

And this is where it gets tricky as there are several strategies...

And one of which is to buy a dedicated device to do to for you. E.g. Draytek ADSL modem + Draytek 2820 ADSL rotuer... Or 2 modems and a Draytek 2955, or many other combinations...

Personally, I'd look at 2 ADSL modems and a Linux host running PPPoE to each modem, and out from there...

(Or a plug-in ADSL card with 2 ports - which might work out cheaper)

Or use both existing ADSL routers and see if they run in bridge mode and so the same and get the Linux host to do the NAT, balancing, etc.

But doing that under Linux is tricky if you've not done it before and there are many ways... This has some interesting reading: http://linux-ip.net/html/adv-multi-internet.html

And even here there are different ways - one way is to nominate external IP addresse or ranges and arrange routing via a dedicated interface, others are to local-balance requests out each interface, but whatever way, you'll need some additional runes to make sure data coming in one interface goes back out the same interface... all explained in the linux-ip.net pages above :)

And another good place to look is the LARTC pages: http://lartc.org/

And I'm assuming it's balancing here (2 different ISPs?) and not something like channel bonding - for that you need a co-operating ISP...

And, er, ... Good luck!

Gordon