[LUG] Problems locating a folder on a Network drive

I have a Western Digital Mybook World Edition 1TB network drive, which runs a version of Linux and which, according to http://mybookworld.wikidot.com, can be hacked to enable SSH. I have done this, and have a rather unusual issue.
The default network folder on the machine is called 'PUBLIC'. If I try to browse over the network (\\wd1000\public), I can see the public folder, but if I try to go into it I get a 'cannot connect' error. If I take the hard drive out and mount it in a PC running Linux I can see the public folder and browse to it with no problems (yes, it was unmounted afterwards).
The full path should be /shares/internal/PUBLIC, but if I connect via SSH it is not there. Even doing a 'find' from the root brings up no results - I have also tried various names of files that I know are in there, which have not come up.
[root@wd1000 /]# find / -name PUBLIC
[root@wd1000 /]#
As a test, I created a folder called 'zxy' via the web interface - I can then browse to that via \\wd1000\zxy and can find it from ssh, and it is listed in the 'internal' folder.
[root@wd1000 /]# find / -name ZXY
/shares/internal/ZXY

[root@wd1000 internal]# ls -al
total 16
drwsr-sr-x 4 www-data www-data 4096 Apr 15 14:48 .
drwsr-sr-x 4 root root 4096 Jan 18 2008 ..
drwx-- 2 www-data www-data 4096 Apr 8 00:31 .senvidData
drwsS- 2 www-data www-data 4096 Apr 15 14:48 ZXY

I have to admit I am completely baffled - why can I see it from the PC, and in the web interface, but not via SSH? Everything on there has been backed up so if necessary I could wipe the drive and start again, but I'd rather not do that and would welcome any suggestions for next steps. I've posted a version of this on the forum for the hack site (http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-234318/problems-locating-public-folder) but have had no replies so presumably they're as baffled as I am!
Thanks in advance,
Jason