Re: [LUG] Google Wave (was base64 email bodies (was Someone on the list rejecting email?))

Whatever happened to Google Wave?

Hm. It has all gone quiet there, hasn't it... I never actualy tried it myself, but I was under the impression that you needed a gmail account to use it with... Neat idea if everyone in the world uses gmail as I understand it... (See above).

But from what I saw, I think it was just too different, and the top-posters of the world just didn't "get it".

The buzz surrounding Google Wave has died down, but it's still going strong. The user interface has improved a lot since everyone here was interested in it a few months ago. It works the same, but the underlying _javascript_ has been vastly improved.

I don't think it'll catch on in a big way until they release the modified xmpp server so that people can run their own Wave server. Once that happens, I expect Google to release another wave (pun not intended) of media buzz amongst the tech crowds. For the moment though, like you said, you need a google account to use it, although it doensn't directly have anything to do with Google Mail.

I use it on a pretty regular basis. It definitely doesn't tie into enough things to be useful to everyone yet, but I find it invaluable for collaboration on ideas for various projects.