[LUG] OT: Network cable.

Hi All,

Simple question. My new NAS box has Gigabit rather than the 10/100Mbit of my previous NAS. However the new one came with exactly the same cable (standard CAT5) as the old one. Given that the PC is well within the 2m length of cable is there any point in replacing it with CAT5e which AFAIK is the proper cable for Gigabit? I ask simply because the increase in speed isn't as much as I would have expected - 2/3x - when I would have expected a fair bit more. Not 10x (although that would have been nice) but a mere 2/3x does seem low and I wondered if the cable was the fault.

Kind regards,

Julian