[LUG] xubuntu has no menu bars

Hello

I installed xubuntu on my daughters old computer to see if it would work
any faster than her snail-like W2k. I took 3 goes as I overwrote another
ubuntu (8.04) which had a 50MB /boot partition which was not enough for
the immediate updates. So I had to repartition a couple of times
increasing its size reformatting it in the end - leaving the /home and /
partitions unreformatted (the swap file was too big and adjacent). I did
have the menu bars the first time but not when it finally got itself
installed and everything updated.

I cannot find any menu anywhere that will put up these essential
facilities - at least when I minimise a window it would be useful to see
it there so I can open it again without having to try opening the
application again. It would also be nice to have the updater visible.

Can you help please. I am hopeful that it will seem good enough to
please the princess and release the queen's new shiny macbook pro and
her work desktop for her exclusive use.

James (the serf)
--
james kilty