Re: [LUG] Potential new Linux user near Holsworthy - Needs laptop & some help getting started?!

On 05/04/2010 10:09, John Hansen wrote:
On 05/04/2010 09:44, Roland Tarver wrote:
Hello :-)

This is amazingly co-incidental! Recently I have been chatting to an
old school friend (Kim). I have not spoken to her in years! Anyhow,
she lives near Holsworthy and needs a new laptop because her current
one is "smoking" (literally!!!).

In addition she is a little strapped for cash at the moment. She was
looking into buying a new laptop from a catalogue and paying for it in
instalments. :-s.

Instead, I suggested she get an older (cheap) laptop and run a Linux.
I have already pointed out many of the benefits of Linux, it being
free from cost is probably the largest immediate advantage for her. I
think she warmed to the idea, but she does NOT have an interest in
computers - she just wants it to work (easily without (much) fuss).

Her requirements are quite simple:-
1. Wireless internet (facebook)
2. Chatting on web cam on MSN. *
3. Plays a lot of games on bigfish (this is a web site).
4 .Internet shopping
* - I do not know of an msn compatible web cam program for Linux. ?
NB. No one else will use the laptop.

I was wondering if there were any kind folks in the Holsworthy area
that could assist?

Does anyone have an older laptop that they could sell to her? (Even,
perhaps, install Linux first - asking a lot I know!!!!)

Perhaps one could be sourced form the local computer shop?

I was thinking of Linux mint as a distro? (I am yet to check its
minimum sys. requirements) but would anyone be able to help her out
with some of the setup problems or differences from windows that she
is, arguably, likely to encounter?

I have mentioned the up coming meeting to her.

Many thanks
Best wishes
Roly

Does it have to be a laptop? If not I suggest you/she contacts D&L IT Recycling Ltd. Tel: 01288 361154 or www.dandlitrecycling.co.uk.They are at Unit 7 Quinceborough Farm on Leverlake Rd, Widemouth Bay, Bude EX23 0NA. Matt is the chap I usually
deal with-very helpful.

They usually can supply refurbished PCs at very modest prices. A Dell desktop for £35 and a monitor for £20-25. They some time have laptops so it is worth asking if she really,
needs a laptop.

John W Hansen

I forgot that they also repair laptops so that is another option and may be the cheapest.

John W