Re: [LUG] Introductory Book

On 03/04/2010 21:30, Grant Sewell wrote:
On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 17:37:00 +0100
Roland Tarver wrote:

Hello!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Linux-Complete-Manual-Jim-Martin/dp/1906372691/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270311385&sr=8-1

I have just been into Paignton W.H. Smiths and found a copy of the
above book.  Had a quick glance through and am now thinking of getting
a copy to lend to friends that are interested in moving to Linux.

It demonstrates a really good range of open source programs, with
plenty of screen shots and easy instructions. Covers topics like: open
office; photos; video editing; scanning; printing; gimp and more - all
really simply. Even those who hate technology could get on well with
this book. It comes with a CD of ubuntu 9.10 too!

Perhaps one for the lug library that I have heard about?

Sorry if people don't think this email is appropriate for the lug, I
just thought it was good and wanted to share.

Best wishes
Roly
There are many good Linux and/or Open Source books about, the problem
with them is that they become outdated fairly quickly.  F'rexample,
should a new book on XP (which was released in 2002) be produced it
might be considered outdated but certainly still relevant... but a new
book on Debian Woody (also released 2002) would probably not go down so
well.

Grant.

You think that's bad? In uni I was looking for books with another student for an assignment - bearing in mind the library had just been given a £1m grant for new books, and *turned down* my offer of course books that were on the Recommended Reading list for my course when I finished[1]. Among others we found Linux books - great, but Linux is not on any of the syllabuses in the IT department so WHY? - Office 97 and 95, and a Windows 2 guide!! Needless to say we pointed out to the course director that it's all very well for the library to have £1m for new books, but if they got rid of the obsolete rubbish they'd have plenty of space to fit the new ones. He - wearily - agreed.

Julian

[1] I ended up giving them to the IT Faculty head who passed them onto a third year student this year.