Re: [LUG] If you run vBulletin, or host customers who do ...

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Gordon Henderson wrote:

Make sure you/they have valid licenses for it.

It seems that a company called piratereports.com - who seems to have just one agent all over Europe called Gheorghe Pantea are acting on behalf of Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd and very aggressively pursuing vBulletin sites, claiming they are in breach of copyright and demanding the site be taken down immediately.

Which I'm not sure they can do in this country legally anyway without a
court order, however...

Googling for piratereports.com certainly pulls up a vast swathe of hatred for them, even if they are legit.

They are legit - confirmed by email from Jelsoft/vBulletin.

So, FWIW: Since the "case" has now been "closed" by Howard G Spinks of piratereports.com himself, my client who is running VB and who does have a valid license for it will be shortly moving to something else and will never give Jelsoft/vBulletin another penny of their money.

So thanks to piratereports screwing up, and being stupidly heavy-handed:

I can find no record of this user holding a valid current
site license for use at this location
Please suspend/remove the GUI and files and prevent future abuse.

Jelsoft loses the chance of any more revenue from that customer. That's a result as far as I'm concerned.

If anyone ever ask me for a recommendation for a forum software package - well, guess what I'm not going to recommend, and I'll tell them why.

Gordon