Re: [LUG] Sony to remove Linux support with PS3 update

Rob Beard wrote:
Hi folks,

Any PS3 owners on the list who use Linux on their consoles?

If so this might be of interest...

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2010/03/29/sony_ps3_to_nix_linux_support/

Personally I'm a bit miffed about it. I bought my 80GB PS3 'phat' over a 120GB slimline PS3 mainly because of the 'Other OS' feature, i.e. the ability to install Linux on it.

Okay fair enough Linux on the PS3 is pretty limited but it does allow me to run some Linux stuff on the TV without having the hassle of building a dedicated PC.

Sony are saying the

Whoops, hit send by accident...

As I was saying, Sony are saying the update is to make the console more secure. I wonder if it's anything to do with the recent hack that requires Linux to be installed :-)

Rob