Re: [LUG] Small Business Web Server

Hi Gibbs,

    Obviously this is going to be dependent on what volume of traffic you expect to receive on your server, but if you are currently using your own PC, then I am guessing that is not too huge yet.

    I use a fit PC2,

    http://www.fit-pc.com/web/

I like the fact that it is very low energy, between 6 and 8 Watts, so I don't have much carbon footprint guilt for leaving a computer on 24/7. It currently runs my web site, sites for a couple of friends, and is also my development server. It also runs various other things, such as a samba server, and a mysql server. I also use it to stream media to other devices around my home. There are no fans, and the only moving part is the hard disk, so generally less to go wrong.

My only issue with it is that ideally I would rather have a machine with a space for a couple of 3.5" hdds, rather than a single 2.5".

It sits there chugging along running Ubuntu Server, making no noise except for the odd hdd click. The only indication that it is doing anything is a power light and a hdd activity light.

I hope this provides food for thought.

Cheers

Matt Nash