Re: [LUG] Potential presentation to TDA

El sÃb, 20-03-2010 a las 12:32 +0000, tom brough escribiÃ:
> [...]
> Any other constructive suggestions  would be welcomed.

Kudos for you! Great initiative.

I think one of the most interesting "success story" in the government
side is the migration of Munich City to OSS. There are a lot of
documents about the topic, but the following one it's a good summary:

http://wikis.ssrc.org/posa/index.php/LiMuxâFree_Software_for_Munich

The whole wiki it's a very valuable source of information about open
source adoption and it's politicization (I'm Spanish, and OSS has been a
very good political weapon in my country for different parties, sadly).

Another great source is www.tOSSad.org:
A Guideline for F/OSS Adoption in Public Sector
http://www.tossad.org/publications/a_guideline_for_f_oss_adoption_in_public_sector

(it has nice examples)

We have two great success stories in Spain: Extremadura and AndalucÃa
autonomic regions. Both are kind of poor regions and OSS has been a key
instrument to develop their education systems.

I personally was involved in gvSIG ( http://www.gvsig.gva.es/ ), the
most important free Geospatian Information System (GIS, but SIG in
Spanish), that started as a local project of the Valencian Council as
response to the high licence costs of the commercial SIG software.

gvSIG made possible for more than 20 companies to be created or
converted to work with SIG technologies because of the market the local
government created just to develop gvSIG.

What started simply to cut costs in licenses has resulted in a great
success for the Valencian government both economically and socially.

I'm here to help you in anything you want (as far as I can!).

Cheers,

Juanjo

--
jjm's home: http://www.usebox.net/jjm/