Re: [LUG] Dual booting Debian and Ubuntu

On Fri, 19 Mar 2010, Rhia Knowles wrote:

I have tried this with 2 versions of Mint and Grub2, it isnt as easy.

update-grub picks up both linux partitions, identifies them correctly,
but the menu it writes says all the linux partitions are Mint 8 KDE
and that all of the kernels are for all the linux partitions.  Since
you're not supposed to edit grub.cfg manually, what is the official
method of tidying up this menu?

I guess that's the issue when you let a computer take over and do it for you - you're then at the mercy of the person who's writing the update program and their ideas of what it ought to look like.

Bit like Windows, really...

... and is that what Linux is becoming? Rightly or wrongly, I still think it should give you a choice.

So I'd suggest working out how to disable the automatic file updates and work out how to do it by hand.

I'd also suggest using Lilo, but then that's because that's what I've been using since forever. I trivially boot different kernels, OS's (XP, Debian, Ubuntu, memtest, etc.) Yes, I know, you have to run lilo every time you edit the file - it's no big deal, really.

Gordon