Re: [LUG] PCI Compliance anyone?

You should have a Modem type Card reader....

        They want me to show we are "PCI" Compliant before removing the "Non
Compliance Fines" from my bill???

How safe is a Modem calling their server? not my problem it's their kit
I rent so why the Fines?

and Don't ask about "Customer Not Present"!!

On Thu, 2010-03-18 at 11:30 +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> Any webby hostys here put their sites through this whole PCI testing
> thing?
>
> My of my clients just did without mentioning it to me, then are jumping up
> and down because it unsurprisingly failed...
>
> However, while I can push all the buttons to make the testing house happy
> (well most of them - they're whinging about some "possible" SQL injections
> that the client's own code is responsible for), I feel that they're
> missing a few vital things - the site is on a shared server and although
> it has it's own IP address (ssl site), there are dozens of other sites
> there too - so having an open FTP server scores 3 points - sure, I could
> block it for their own IP address, but it still leaves it open on the
> 'base' server and all other sites.
>
> Same for other trivial things like POP and so on.
>
> One annoying thing it failed on was not having a virus checker - they sent
> EICARs to postmaster@it and expected it to fail - well, it won't as it
> doesn't have a virus checker, it's a Linux host (which they correctly
> identified!)
>
> And interestingly, reading the documentation the client sent me, it seems
> that they (the testing house) wanted me to remove all firewalling and
> allow full access from the testing houses IP range before they started the
> test!)
>
> So it seems to me that this whole PCI testing thing is really a pile of
> junk, and people are paying good money for a 'scan' which really isn't
> showing anything significant at all... Or even if it pases, then the
> server itself is still not "secure" as it's hosting other sites, etc.
>
> So where can I sign up to be a PCI testing house???
>
> Gordon

Regards

Kevin Lucas
Minions Post Master(Sub)