Re: [LUG] Digital Economy Bill - write to your MP today!

Aaron Trevena wrote:
Hi all,

In case you weren't aware the Digital Economy Bill passed it's 3rd
reading in the House of lords yesterday afternoon - and now unless MPs
ensure it's debated, it will be pushed into law without any oversight
or debate in the commons, worse is that Lords Razzle & Clement-Jones
have added clauses drafted by the music industry verbatim.

This bill, if it becomes law will allow Websites to be blocked by
ISPs, search engines and others at the request of "rights owners",
without any court involvement or appeals process.. websites will just
disappear from your view, without warning or notification or even any
evidence of wrongdoing.

This bill, if it becomes law will allow record companies to force your
ISP to disconnect you without court involvement, appeals or proof.

This bill will allow media giants to steal your copyright property
(images, software, music) wholesale by "mistakenly" assuming they are
orphaned works.
This point on orphaned works is vitally important. I cannot find it mentioned in the bill. I have raised this point on Groklaw and its been dismissed. If it is true then it needs to be fought tooth and nail ( though we could try dialling an 0800 number of MS and use that as a tried to find the copyright holder to orphan ...oh hang on) If its a red herring theres no point in making fools of ourselves complaining about it.
Tom te tom te tom