Re: [LUG] Another Ubuntu convert (hopefully)

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Well it looks like my mum and step-dad have FINALLY decided to get a laptop
> and broadband.  It was a bit unexpected (I knew they were going to get a
> computer in a couple of years when they retired but not so soon!).
>
> As I'm going to be doing their support (they live in Teignmouth) I decided
> that it might be a good idea for them to get Ubuntu.  It'll probably be 9.10
> later replaced by 10.04 (since they're getting the laptop this week).  I
> figured it would do everything they want, web browsing, e-mail and photos
> with a bit of Skype once in a while.
>
> Not only will they get a nice fast running system, I'll also have piece of
> mind that I won't have to connect in to fix spyware, viruses or defrag the
> system.  Of course there is the risk of Phishing links which I'll have to
> explain to them, but I'm hoping it'll be more secure by default by default
> and quicker than Vista (the laptop I'm probably going to get them is at a
> knocked down price because it's got Vista on it).
>
> I'll post how I get on, I'm pretty confident that with a couple of hours
> going through things with them (sending e-mails, opening the browser and
> using the internet, importing digital photos) that they'll get on well with
> it all, and if all else fails, well my daughters can show them how to use it
> (as they already use Ubuntu at home).
>
> Rob

Hi Rob

Perhaps you should document the set-up/explanatory findings as some
form of guide? I guess there is a lot of that sort of thing already
available, however?

Also, something that may be very handy, is "remote desk-toping" or at
least some form of remote access that would allow you to admin their
laptop from your location? Forgive me, I don't know the correct
terminology - I have never set something like that up. I do know it's
possible though. It would have been fantastically useful for me this
week. I spent 90 minutes on the phone trying to talk my, computer
illiterate, mum through opening a really important pdf (attached to an
email)! Was a very frustrating, utter nightmare! When I get time - I'm
going to look into this topic myself! Just a thought for you?!

Best wishes
Roly