Re: [LUG] Folding@home 'errors'

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Dan Dart wrote:

On 16 March 2010 15:37, Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Dan James wrote:

I've not used cpuburn before, does it have a way of telling you that it
got a calculation wrong?

Yes.

It's not one program though - there are several in the set and you'll likely
want to run burnBX and/or burnMMX on a modern processor.

They will terminate if they get an error, but they don't give sensible
messages - just status codes - but essentially, if they terminate they got
an error.

burnBX and burnMMX are actually memory testers - really aimed at testing the
CPU cache - they can take an optional single-letter parameter to specify the
amount of memory they test - see
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/redelm/readme.txt for more details.

And remember to run one per core.

And do not run them unless you have lm-sensors installed, and do check the
temperature with lm-sensors, or something else.

so burn as in burning - literally?

Has anyone had their computer go up in flames as a result of
overheating the CPU?

Early AMD chips and to a lesser extent Intel ones did have the potential to get hot enough to burn themselves to death due to lack of thermal protection on the chip. I think the time was measured in seconds after removing the heatsink in some cases. Not something you'd normally do though.

Gordon