Re: [LUG] OT - is a PC screen HD?

On 14 March 2010 18:31, Simon Robert
<simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> However the PC does show HD as an option and
> does play it.
>
> Am I really seeing HD, I can't tell by eyesight. I'm surprised my old
> sky star would do HD, but then if it doesn't would I get any sort of
> picture.

It "supports" HD, because BBC HD (plus I think Luxe TV HD and ITV HD)
all transmit in a standard it can cope with, that being DVB-S. All the
skystar does is receive the signal and demodulate it into something
the computer can understand - it's the program you are using to watch
that has to worry about whether it is HD or not.

There is a newer standard that the broadcasters are moving to, DVB-S2.
Sky use it for their HD channels. It is more efficient so it allows
them to transmit more HD channels in the same space.

If BBC HD was transmitting in DVB-S2, you wouldn't even see a channel
listing, let alone be able to watch the channel. If you can watch it,
and you have a monitor that is equal to or better than 1440x1080 (for
whatever reason the BBC don't do "full HD") you should be watching
under ideal conditions.

Shaun