Re: [LUG] OT: [Fwd: Hard drive evolution could hit XP]

On Tuesday 09 March 2010, Julian Hall wrote:
> 'By early 2011 all hard drives will use an "advanced format" that
> changes how they go about saving the data people store on them.'

Cutting out all the discussions about calculating disc sizes and quick fixes
for XP, I seem to remember having this argument about sector sizes maybe 10
or 12 years ago (maybe 15 years ago) when the problem was the size of disc
the operating system could handle.  One thing that came up then that I
haven't seen a mention of in this thread was the size of files.  A file takes
up a minimum of a sector  so if you have a small file of say 200 bytes then
if your sector size is 512 it takes 512 and if it is 4k then that's what it
takes.  And there are an awful lot of small files on a linux system.  Or am I
having a senior moment?

George