Re: [LUG] OT: [Fwd: Hard drive evolution could hit XP]

Rob Beard wrote:
Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Gordon Henderson wrote:

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Julian Hall wrote:

'By early 2011 all hard drives will use an "advanced format" that changes how they go about saving the data people store on them.'

Calling the move to 4KB sectors "advanced format" is a bit rich, but hey, lets not let the facts get in the way of a good story.

However I'm fairly sure there are already drives with 4K sector abilitys avalable now, not in 2011, or at least they'll be avalable real soon now...

Yup - thought so:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Hard+Drives/Serial+ATA/Western+Digital+Caviar+Green+1.5TB+3.5%22+SATA+II+Hard+Drive+-+OEM+?productId=39462

Basically any WDC drive that has EARS after the ID is formatted with 4KB sector size.

Hm. Good price for a 1.5TB drive. Might get one!

Gordon
I'm a bit confused about all this, how I understand it from reading the BBC article, there is space between the 512 byte sectors which is wasted?

I'm just wondering with this fancy new 4K sectors, does that mean we're not going to loose as much space as we do at the moment?

What I mean is, for instance, my new 320GB hard drive has a formatted capacity of about 297GB (or is it GiB?). I gather this is because the drive is 320,000,000,000 bytes rather than 343,597,383,680 bytes. So I'm wondering, does this mean we'll start to get the extra 23GB back on a 320GB drive?

Good to see it's supported in Linux anyway, and I guess XP users will just see a bit of a performance hit.

Rob

The BBC article points out that in some cases when writing ( and I think some reading too) the drive will take two steps rather than one to write/get the data - this will be where both the OS and Drive caches are missed - this will make the process 10% slower. Boo Hoo - spend £70 on a new version of windows to get an average speed up of (probably) sub 1% of your hard drive... that cost £70...
Effectively FUD from the BBC on behalf of MS.
Tom te tom te tom