Re: [LUG] Home Server

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 18:22 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
Matt Nash wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>     I am looking for recommendations. I currently use a fit-PC 2.0
> running Ubuntu Server at home. I use it for various purposes, such as
> Web Server, Samba server, Media streaming server, etc..
>
>     I like the fact that it is very low energy, so I don't mind
> leaving it running 24/7 as it uses less energy than most energy saving
> light bulbs.
>
>     The one thing I would like is a bit more capacity. Does anyone
> know of a device that does the same thing, with similar energy
> consumption for a similar price, but with capacity for at least one,
> but ideally 2+ 3.5 inch disks, rather than the one 2.5 inch disk that
> you can get in the fit-PC 2.0?
>
>     The nearest thing I have seen is Excito's Bubba server, but that
> looks quite expensive, and I don't need all the proprietary looking
> software.
>
>     Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers
>
> Matt Nash

I don't know of any off the shelf products off the top of my head, maybe
you'd have to look at something like a MiniITX motherboard with a VIA or
Atom chip on there (or maybe one of those Athlon Neo chips if you can
find one) and slimline MiniITX case, or it might be worth looking at
what Shuttle can offer.

Rob

You can get some good deals with the  Shuttle type Cases
this has 3 drives supported
http://www.micomonline.co.uk/products.asp?partno=X27&go

Regards

Kevin Lucas