[LUG] OT: Call for GNU-powered help - Icecast relays etc.

Dear GNU/Linux folk,

We Are Change Europe are starting their own radio station and have put
out a call for help. Seeing as it involves Debian and IceCast, I
thought it might prove worthwhile to forward their plea to the DCGLUG
list. Would anyone here be interested in running an Icecast relay
server to support their project?

Here is their original message:

---

Greetings fellow humans!

I want to inform you all about the latest project We Are Change is working on!

As you all understand by now, it's imperative that the media gets
competition in spreading information / reaching people at home and
work. A lot of other groups and organizations are already active on
the internet with streaming media. Last month, the founding chapter in
New York debuted the first We Are Change Television broadcast, a nice
kick-off for even more to come.

The next stage is creating an international internet radio station
based on the beliefs and goals of We Are Change.

The need is clearly visible for a platform that offers people a way to
spread information (video/pictures/text) with the intention to reach
millions. This all is possible if we work together cohesively. We are
currently working on all details for the station itself, for example-
music / programming / etc. All chapters are encouraged to participate,
because we indeed need lots of help getting it up and running.

At the moment, we have open spots for radio hosts, producers,
graphical artists, IT developers, web developers, content suggestions,
but the main thing we need is capacity.
Our server in Amsterdam, The Netherlands, can maintain +/-1000
concurrent connections. And that does not quite cut it.
But there is a simple way people can contribute to this project. Run
an Icecast (Shoutcast) relay servers for We Are Change where more
listeners can connect to. You can even do this with a small
connection, every possible listener counts!

College students are especially encouraged to help due to their access
to fast net connections.

Please do what you can and pass this message on.
If you happen to own your own server, get in contact with us ASAP.

Please do what you can and pass this message on.

In Solidarity,

Colleen Harding
We Are Change Wilkes-Barre-Scranton, United States
wearechangenepa@xxxxxxxxx

We Are Change radio website (just a basic setup that will absolutely
change, input welcome)
http://wearechangeradio.net/

information about used programs/services:

IceCast:
http://icecast.org/

IceCast introduction:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/TheoraCookbook/IcecastIntro

Streaming basics:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/TheoraCookbook/WhatIsStreaming

Debian GNU/Linux:
http://debian.org/

WeAreChange believes in FREE Software, so we choose to use Debian GNU
/ Linux as our core platform.

---

Thanks for your time :)

Regards,