Re: [LUG] No desk top computer?

Julian Hall wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> We have lived in a fairly small house for over 7 years now. It was quite
>> big enough for us, but we now seem to have acquired three grandchildren.
>>  I use one of the bedrooms as a study where I have my desktop computer.
>> With all the bits and pieces it takes up quite a lot of room so there is
>> a bit of a palaver when we have visitors. Hints have been dropped!!
>>
>> So I am wondering about replacing the desktop with a (good sized) laptop
>> computer. This leads me on to wonder if any list members do not use a
>> desk top at all, and rely on a laptop only. Anyone? Anything to consider
>> if I go down that route?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Neil
>>

> Hi Neil,
>
> Not quite what you asked but have you thought about a net-top, such as
> the Eeebox? - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148886
>
> Much lower power consumption than a desktop, with a VESA mount so it
> will attach to the back of a TFT flat panel, leaving the desktop totally
> free for the keyboard and mouse and under desk space totally free for
> the likes of printers, scanner etc :)  Main benefit being in that you
> don't have to use a smaller laptop screen - if eyesight is a concern, or
> worry too much about system spec if you use any power hungry programs -
> also I believe they work quite nicely on Linux.  Also £ for £ net-tops
> are a lot cheaper if budget is an issue - as it is for most people these
> days.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

If anyone has one could they perhaps write a review for the website
please,.  if its in Plain text then it can be copied / pasted and markup
added on site.

Thanks

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
DCGLUG MEETINGS - Details on www.dcglug.org.uk/drupal6,  - please click
on Group meetings link on right hand side
Aged 11 - 19 then dfey may be for you,  please goto http://www.dfey.org
for more details