Re: [LUG] mobile broadband things

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010, Paul Sutton wrote:

>> Hi
>>
>> I was looking at getting one of those mobile broadband things that plug
>> in to the usb port,
>>
>> aparently I need extra drivers adn stuff to get it working under Linux,
>> not sure, but I am not really that confident with stuff like that
>
> They simply look like a USB serial device, so you need PPP and a dialler
> - e.g. wvdial.
>
>> however the following in the 3 store caught my eye
>>
>> http://threestore.three.co.uk/broadband/?id=1397
>
>> so it seems i don't need to actually plug it in to my computer so don't
>> need to worry about drivers,  i get something called a sim card with it,
>> which is something to do with mobile networks, don't know (it doesn't
>> explain what this is)
>
> I think you do need to plug them in... Not sure where you've gotten that
> idea from... All the offers on that page are for USB broadband dongles...
>
> A SIM card is the "magic key" that gets you onto the mobile network. All
> mobile phones have one and these dongles are just phones without the
> audio part.
>
> I think they all work under Linux now - some supported, some you might
> have to create a conf file using a text editor. I plug my phone into my
> laptops all the time and they work - but I have to manually type the
> wvdial command to get online, but I can cope with that.
>
> So shop around - see what's the best deal... And remember there's no
> such thing as "unlimited"... I'm paying £17ish a month for my O2 deal of
> 150 miutes talk time, 300 txts, "unlimited" internet bandwidth, but I'm
> not supposed to "tether" my phone to a laptop - it's an E90 with built
> in keyboard, screen, web browser, google maps, so who knows what
> difference it will make to them...
>
> Gordon

I was looking at the Mi fi thing,  looks like the link didn't go to the
right tab on the page.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
DCGLUG MEETINGS - Details on www.dcglug.org.uk/drupal6,  - please click
on Group meetings link on right hand side
Aged 11 - 19 then dfey may be for you,  please goto http://www.dfey.org
for more details