[LUG] UDP Port 37 traffic 2010-02-08

I'm seeing spurious port 37 traffic logged since "Feb 8 20:05:41" on several (related) IP addresses.

TCPDUMP show the content contain strings consistent with these packets being related to anti-spam activity, or possibly just lost DNS traffic (since a lot of DNS traffic is now anti-spam).

Strings extracted include:

14.114.99.123.zen.spamhaus.org
157.104.20.190.zen.spamhaus.org
cps.co.uk.dsn.rfc-ignorant.org
liposuctionlaser.com.abuse.rfc-ignorant.org

My best guess is an attempted DDOS on blocklists, but I don't have enough data.

I don't understand why it would use port 37, but the packets are from all over, so I assume spoofed.

Anyone else seeing this? Be nice to know we aren't mangling our own DNS requests or similar.