Re: [LUG] lshw -html UPDATED

Steven Côté wrote:
In fact I don't even have an xorg.conf - Ubuntu has "evolved" enough
for me not to need one. Pity I need to go into Display Settings every
time to revert to 75Hz (which Xorg reports as 51Hz) ...
Sigh... come on, X, and NVIDIA...

You can still use an xorg.conf file. If the file is missing, then
X.org will use default values as it sees fit. This works for most
people so the big distros have stopped shipping X.org with a conf file
which was honestly a lot of hassle to set up correctly.

Having said that, if you wanted to use a conf file, it's still
possible to generate a file that sets the defaults and then you can
tweak it how you like. I'm not sure the preferred way to do this on
Ubuntu, but I know that running "Xorg -configure" as root will work on
all systems (this should create /root/xorg.conf.new, which you then
have to copy to /etc/X11/xorg.conf).

Hope that helps.

You have to stop X for the above Xorg -configure to work

sudo service gdm stop
do things
sudo service gdm start

that works for Ubunut replace sudo with whatever power craziness theologistic weapon you wish to use.
Tom te tom te tom