Re: [LUG] OT-ish: Government aid for computers

Quoting Henry Bremridge <henry.bremridge@xxxxxxxxx>:

In case anyone knows someone...

On 11 January, the government launched the Home Access Grant scheme to
provide grants to low income families to buy computer and/or internet
packages.  Families with children in state-maintained schools in
England, in school years three to nine, who are entitled to free school
meals or are in receipt of one of a number of qualifying benefits, will
be able to apply for the grant.  Carers and foster parents for 'looked
after children' in school years one to thirteen are also likely to be
eligible to apply for the grant.  Families can call the Home Access
Grant helpline on 0333 200 1004 to get an application form.  More
information about the scheme is available on the Home Access website at
http://www.homeaccess.org.uk/.

I looked into registering as an official supplier for this when it was announced early last year I believe. I gather how it works is the low income family get a 'voucher' for a machine up to a certain value (something like about £500 I think) which they take to a registered supplier (not only the big suppliers are registered, smaller computer companies can register too as long as the hardware provided meets specific requirements). IIRC families can also get a grant for broadband too.

Before anyone says anything too... yes the grants can be used for Linux machines. I believe the requirements were something like a minimum video resolution of something like 1024x768, a minimum of wired ethernet, audio output etc. IIRC the requirements were pretty loose, it didn't specify an operating system, but it did specify that the software installed had to meet specific requirements (which I believe most Linux distos met all the requirements anyway). However, I wouldn't be surprised if 9 out of 10 machines come preinstalled with Windows 7.

Rob