Re: [LUG] Any embedded/server bods running the roadsend php compiler thingy?

On Sun, 31 Jan 2010, Simon Waters wrote:

Gordon Henderson wrote:

It has a feature to generate a web-server + php code in a single
executable - which might be good for little embedded applications...

Roadsend is at:

  http://www.roadsend.com

Maintaining one binary on target systems would seem to be easier than
maintaining an apache run-time environment + php + a few dozen php code
files...

I'd wonder how good the web server is and how it handles other file types.

But  I'd have thought it easier to maintain the scripts as scripts, the
downside being compilation is left much later. In that you still have to
make all those configuration decisions, you just then add an extra step
of freezing them into yet another file. i.e. You may have increased the
number of configurable items, even if you only ship the final one.

I'm thinking of something like my "embedded" PBX system - so other filetypes aren't neccessarily going to be a big issue (just images) - it's a fairly well defined system - a few dozen PHP files which manipulate some text files and throw a few commands back to the OS...

My "release" process effectively does a freeze before producing a tar.gz blob to be unpacked on the target system so it might not be too bad from that point of view.

Be intersting to see how big the executable is - as everything runs in a ramdisk on my systems.

Still let us know how you get on.

I should have time this week to give it a go.

Gordon