Re: [LUG] Microphone socket as output

dandart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Ahoy!
The thread (I think here) about using a mic socket as a speaker slot...

did it ever get resolved?
I found out on my motherboard, mic can be output if you configure it right in the software. That's what the "Channel mode" thing in Kmix/alsamixer/GNOME mixer must be for! You could choose 6ch or 8ch. (Apparently 4 or 2 too) - so 8ch must have meant mic as output...
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SurroundSound did it for me (you dont need to restart the computer after changing the conf file) I changed mine from default-sample-channels=2 to default-sample-channels=4 and plugged a spare lead into the mike socket and now I have speaker cables draped everywhere. The tests (speaker-test -Dplug:surround51 -c6 -l1 -twav) were a bit disappointing as the ELF test (for the bass speaker:Extra Low Frequency) is too high for the speaker so it sounded pretty quiet so I played a around a bit to get it louder and nearly vaporised the PC playing some music.

My only complaint now is every time alsa or pulsaudio is updated it sets the sound to mute or off volume wise - its probably sensible but I set iplayer going to listen to "I'm sorry I havent a clue or something" and have to rewind it after I realise I havent turned the volume on and have to re-download 1/2 the program!
Tom te tom te tom