Re: [LUG] OPen source policy

On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 23:05 +0000, Paul Sutton wrote:

> A third attempt at a published Government strategy. It looks even more
> like it means business than the preceding ones.
>
> Open Source, Open Standards and Re-Use: Government Action Plan
>  http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/media/318020/open_source.pdf
>
> Sounds good to me, or a step in the right direction at least.

I am not sure if the line

Over 25% of secondary schools use the Linux operating system on at
least one computer.

is much to be happy about. If schools really were teaching IT they would
at least have to have one in a corner to let people see it exists.
Ideally they would have several of the most common OSs available to try
out.

But it does seem a large step for them considering the replies I have
had before from Tom Watson. It does seem that persistent lobbying has
paid off. Interesting they are using the word "re-use". Nice one.
Instead of lots of square, triangular, pentagular (I couldn't resist
that) wheels, perhaps we'll have nice shiny circular ones.

James

--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk