Re: [LUG] possibly OT dvd won't play

On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 23:02 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:

> There is libdvdnav4, libdvdread4 and libdvdcss2, at least on Ubuntu
> 9.10.  I believe libdvdcss2 is in the Medibuntu repositories and
> possibly required for commercial DVDs to decrypt them for playback.
>
> Medibuntu can be found here: http://www.medibuntu.org/
>
> It may also be worth adding kubuntu-restricted-extras
>
> I believe the kubuntu-restricted-extras (or xubuntu-restricted-extras
> for Xubuntu, and ubuntu-restricted-extras for Ubuntu) have some extra
> codecs for GStreamer to play things like DVDs.
dear all

many thanks for all the input.

using
mplayer dvd://
I get the message
couldn't open DVD device /dev/dvd
no stream found to handle url dvd://

I had the gstreamer ffmpeg plugin
installing ffmpeg made no difference

I have libdvdread3

I did install kubuntu-restricted-extras and the only file that installed
was for mp3s.

VLC is a nice player as is SMPlayer which give lots of controls but
neither will play the dvd - I already had both installed.

I have no others from the source - "Momentum pictures"

The dvd will play on my desktop! I have explored vlc and have managed to
stream the dvd to my laptop. This will be a nice surprise for my wife
when she gets back tonight.

I used the command line as in http://wiki.videolan.org/. I have not been
able to find a way to use the gui even though it does seem obvious how
to. I have learned some useful skills.

James

--
james kilty