Re: [LUG] Old PC for toddlers playgroup - Exmouth

Quoting Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx>:

Thanks

Viv

Where you say educational CDs and DVDs, do you mean educational
applications or music CDs and video DVDs?

Does the PC need to run Windows or Linux?

Rob

Some of the dvd's / cd's contain part of the program so when its
installed it runs from the hdd, but that grabs the bits (e.g multimedia)
from the cd media.  Playing music / video dvd's should not really be a
problem,  I think Mint has all the required codecs for that.

Ubuntu will play DVDs too. The thing is, if these DVDs/CDs are educational programs then they may not work on Linux, or they could maybe work on Wine, without further details it's hard to say either way.

I'm sure we could get some bits together to build a PC, but then if it requires Windows there is the problem of getting a valid Windows license, unless we were to say get an older PC which already had a Windows license.

What exactly is wrong with the old PC as it is?

Is it completely dead?  I'm wondering if it could be fixed.

I am not sure what to suggest here,  are there enough programs for the
children to use within edubuntu,  tux paint is popular, as are a few of
the other programs that have penguins.

Yep, this is the thing, if they already have a load of software that won't run on Linux then they would either have to ditch the software or stick with Windows.

Some of the software could also be EYFS specific, so getting that to run
in Linux / wine presents the usual challenge.

EYFS?

Rob